I remember

I remember the near slum I was born in in December 1940. It was (is) located in the Kattestraat in Okegem.

I remember the (higher) stable building and our minuscule house, which was the last in a row of three. As so often in those times, the houses did not front the street ; the side wall of the first of the houses stood on the street.

Behind the barn, one could make a short cut, across one or two properties, to my grandfather's large garden.
As for our house, the pictures (taken in the 1970s ?), show three windows and a door. I remember one or two windows only. The houses were absolutely tiny. On the pictures, part of the roof of our house had collapsed. Since then, the houses have been beautifully redone (almost rebuilt). I ignore if there are three dwellings still.
We lived there until late 1945, when my father had entered the gendarmerie and was stationed in Ghent.

I have some memories of our life there. I wrote about some of them. Others may possibly follow.

No comments: