Justice at last

A British holiday maker has won compensation from a court because his hotel in Kos, Greece, was "too full of Germans".

See : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2054986/Holiday-maker-awarded-compensation-for-hotel-%27too-full-of-Germans%27.html.

This is the kind of news I enjoy ; poetic justice at last.

And the news makes me think of an (un ?) related experience. I still vividly remember waking up very early - around five - in my hotel room on the Ossiacher lake in Austria in the late 1970s. I heard loud gurgling noise and heavy splashing.

I went to the window to see what happened. Two oldish pot bellied and bald German "gentlemen" - who thought they were unobserved - were exchanging their morning greetings. One came out of the lake (splashing and gurgling), the other went toward it. They stopped in their tracks, clicked their naked heels - I swear this is true - and gave each other the Hitler salute.

I kid you not !!! This was thirty years after their "reich" had been solidly crushed. The "reich" yes, but not all its components ... There still was a lot of deep "Heimweh" in Germany and Austria at that time. I could tell other stories ...

No comments: