Germany - Turkey

The European soccer championship is in full swing. I hate soccer : that sport does not interest me in the least. But one simply cannot avoid it : it is all over the place, on TV, in the papers, in the streets.

I understand that tonight Germany plays Turkey in the semi-finals. By the way, what is Turkey (or Israel for that matter) doing in a European championship ?

So I couldn't care less who is going to win and who is going to lose : neither the German nor the Turkish team evoke my sympathy (but I should be lying were I to pretend that the defeat of the Dutch team hadn't pleased me).

Still, I hope the Germans are going to win. Ghent has a sizable Turkish population - fortunately not a German one. Turkish flags are all over the place and we have experienced, or been informed about, the night - long festivities with car caravans and horn honking concerts whenever their team has been victorius. I must be fair : nothing worse happened. The guys and girls just were letting off steam because they were overjoyed by their team's (unexpected) performances.

They have had their hour of glory ; now let the town have a peaceful night without the nerve racking, uninterrupted honking ! But should they win anyway : congratulations, Turkey !

4 comments:

Lebbercherrie said...

HONK! (are you awake yet?)

Pablo Carpintero said...

Confused as always (and contrarian to boot): crying my eyes out because for the Turks to lose the Germans had to win.

Lebbercherrie said...

Ze Germans. Zey are very, very trickzy, arent zey?

Pablo Carpintero said...

Jawohl Herr Lebberkirsche. Dass sind sie und dass bleiben sie.