January 1 1861

Petrus Joannes Ravijst (Ravijts) was born in Nieuwenhove as a natural son of Rosalia Ravijst, born in Nieuwenhove in 1839. Rosalia was a maid in a regional manor. There are various stories about the possible father - none can be proven.

Petrus Joannes was a servant and a coachman. He married Joanna Maria (Leontien) De Schepper (Meerbeke 1864 - 1926). They had at least six children, one of which was my father's mother Rosalia Margaretha Ravijst (Meerbeke 1892 - 1973). Despite his humble occupations and origin, he was not without means.

This is the branch of my family I know almost nothing about - and to be honest, I haven't really started systematic research yet, given the fact that so many other lines were to be had much more easily in reliable published sources.

I do not know where Rosalia's father, born around 1805 - 1810 came from ; I do not know where he married ; I do not yet know whom and where Rosalia married after she had Petrus Joannes. I hear stories about half sisters in Tollembeek but very few people who could put me on the right track are alive today. And the variations on the family name are numerous (Ravijst, Ravijts, Ravyts, Ravyts, Raveyst, Raveyts, Ravats, Ravets, possibly Favets a.s.o.)

A lot of research remains to be done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ik weet er alles van!