February 10 1942

Blondina Muylaert, the last surviving of my great-grandparents, died in the Koestraat in Pamel, 93 years old. She was born in Denderhoutem on June 4 1849 and married Felix De Vidts (Pamel 1853 - 1940). They had five children : two died at a tender young age. Their son Petrus Joannes died in 1922, 29 years old. My maternal grandmother Maria Antonia De Vidts (Pamel 1885 - Okegem 1949) and her sister Line were the only ones to build a family. Blondine died in her house, which was taken over by her daughter Line.

According to my mother she was almost bowed double with age. She is the only of my great-grandparents for which I have no picture. She must have been somewhat of an original : she systematically refused to be photographed - this may well have been related to her devotions. She never ate fish because fish had eaten the dead bodies of so many people who had drowned in the sea. I heard other stories, but I can't vouch for them ...

1 comment:

Pablo Carpintero said...

I made a mistake here. My father's maternal grandfather Petrus Joannes Ravijts (Ravijst) passed away in Meerbeke on January 21 1944. He had been born in Nieuwenhove on New Year's day of 1861.

But Blondina lived to a higher age.