August 17 1650

Joanna Muylaerts died in Okegem on that date. Her son Engelbert Van den Waterloop in his turn died in Okegem in 1670. The third generation was Henricus Van den Waterloop who died in 1673.

Henricus Van den Waterloop had a daughter Anna (Okegem 1662 - 1740).

I descend from two of her children : Anna Asselman (Okegem 1690 - 1784) and Joannes Asselman (Okegem 1692 - 1732).

--- Anna's daughter Joanna De Mol (Okegem 1733 - 1791) was the mother of Cornelius Van der Speeten (Okegem 1772 - 1806). The line from Cornelius to my great-grandfather Hermilianus Neukermans (Okegem 1855 - 1932) has been described in "July 30 1621".

--- Anna's son Joannes (Okegem 1692 - 1732) had a son Petrus (Okegem 1729 - 1792). The line from Petrus Asselman to my great-grandfather Hermilianus Neukermans was reported on in "July 5 1635".

Once more, this article illustrates how families intertwined in those small villages ... everyone was related to almost everyone else, but every couple of generations that knowledge of kinship was lost.

That still happens to the present day. For how many generations can an average citizen quote the family names of his ancestors ? Three, four generations at the most ... Before I started researching my family, I barely could name all my great-grandparents.
And who knows all the descendants of his great-grandparents ? Virtually no one.


As stated before I research all my ascendants in the male and the female lines and their direct family (brothers and sisters), in Flemish my "kwartierstaat". I am not interested in the "total descendence"or "parenteel", that is the full list op people descending from any one of my ancestors. And even if I were interested, privacy laws applying to the last 100 years make such a job almost impossible.

No comments: