O dierbaar België

Frankly, I am growing more pessimistic by the day.

I do not see how this splendid little country can yet be saved. I see nothing but gross ill will on both sides (both sides is a simplification : I do not know how many sides there really are) and an army of political idiots doing their very best to sharpen the opposite viewpoints.

What worries me deeply is that - even up to a year ago - most "ordinary" people just shrugged their shoulders when these problems were talked about. But the political stalemate has made extremists out of previously sensible and tolerant people. I see them all around me, on both sides of the linguistical fence. I see very old friendships being abruptly ended over the issue.

I think divorce is unavoidable. I don't know how long it will take. It may be this year or in a couple of decades. But come it will. The wounds are too deep to be healed.

And there may be a rude awakening when we shall have to pay the cost of the divorce !

I'dd better start thinking about moving to France.

No comments: