May 17 2004

On that day, the last brother of my mother, Eugeen Robert Neukermans, died in his home in Okegem. He was almost 83. Of all my uncles, I knew him best ; his brother Jef, who passed away in 1994, was a close second.

I spent most of my holidays with my maternal grandparents on the Rattenberg in Okegem, and continued to do so after my grandmother passed away, much too soon, in 1949. "Nonkel Geen" was their youngest son. When he came home from work - my grandfather and his two surviving sons all worked at the railroad company - he always had time for me and I hold lots and lots of dear memories of him. And time did nothing to change our sincere friendship.

He was a deeply social man - it was almost impossible to visit him without being interrupted by people coming for his advice - and active in local politics in Okegem, and later in Ninove. He also was a driving force in the fives club (kaatsspel) and very involved in many other activities, including genealogical research. In that field too, I owe him a lot.

In my eyes, he was a giant of a man.

My thoughts go to his surviving wive, my aunt Jeanne, to his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

De tijd vliegt snel, nu reeds vier jaar geleden...Ik wil je nog eens bedanken omdat je op die dag onmiddellijk naar Okegem bent gekomen. Je was een échte steun in deze moeilijke momenten.Ik begrijp nu ook beter dan vroeger dat je toch wel een speciale band met hem had.We hebben gisteren in de avondmis te zijner intentie opgedragen gebeden voor zijn zielerust.Zéér genegen. Guy