Tour de France

I hear the Tour de France starts today. I couldn't care less.

The stupid, hypocritical and sometimes criminal actors in that bad soap have led to the vaporisation of my previously passionate interest in that circus.

The Tour used to be an annual highlight in my life. I remember listening to the radio in the fifties ; I remember waiting impatiently for the special edition of Het Volk, which was printed minutes after the conclusion of each stage. I remember enjoying the beautiful "mise en scene" of the stage and of the fantastic landscapes on TV. I remember the professional comments of Fredje De Bruyne, not an innocent baby himself.

But all that is gone now. If those stupid bastards want to ruin their life and health for short term (although important) gain, so be it. But let them be open and honest about it. I just can't stand the blatant hypocrisy. Time and again, they fall flat on their faces, time and again, they start all over again. Brrr ...

And how can those journalists blow hot one day, and cold the next ? How can they continue to treat these "athletes" as half-gods ? In their place, I couldn't stand looking in the mirror each morning. But, perhaps, many of them don't shave.

As they say in French : ici on rase gratis. Not me ! Not any more ! It is more than I can bear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, what an interesting tour for hypocrites, I mean the riders, team and tour managements and the media. That sport is rotten to the core, like every other human activity where money and greed play the very first role.

Pablo Carpintero said...

Uit de krant van vandaag : "Een ezel stoot zich geen twee keer aan dezelfde steen - laat staan twintig of dertig keer. Een wielrenner wel."