Progress report

More often than not I write that I (still) have to research very significant parts of my ancestry. I must admit that for over a year, I made almost no progress at all in the study of the primary sources, for the very simple reason that I haven't visited the archives.

One does not go to Beveren or Leuven for one or two hours of research. One tends to spend the whole day there, but my eyesight does not permit that any more, at least for the time being. Half a day scrutiny of often almost illegible microfilms in what we call "priest's latin" is more than my eyes can bear. But half a day is not enough to make significant progress. And there are so many branches of my ancestry to research that I appear unable to define my priorities.

The progress I have made came from published research by other people, for which of course I am very grateful.

So now I am thinking about renting an apparatus and the appropriate films to do some research at home. I believe that is a possibility.

Well, time will tell. I'll keep you informed.

No comments: