French fries - friet

The end of Belgium is near.

While the traditional "frietkotten" disappear from our streets and squares - they were the traditional final stop of every serious drinking binge - Vers l'Avenir announces that a Belgian chips (French fries) automaton is on the way.
In a few weeks time it will be possible to get the famous potato snack from a machine that works on the same principle as a soft drinks machine. The machine will offer the options salted or unsalted, and with or without mayonnaise.

But what about the options tasteful or tasteless ? Tasteless only I suppose ? And what about the charm of a double tongued b*y conversation with the stallkeeper ? Our culture is fast disappearing indeed ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I must admit I am a friet-addict and critic.
I have had the same idea of making an automatised chips-shop, but am lacking the sense of adventure and the huge capital to begin with. My purpose was an imitation of the Dutch "kroket/patat in de muur". But I do think they have a genuine freshly producing "friturist" behind most machines... The appeal lies in the lack of queing.

Pablo Carpintero said...

I read somewhere that one machine costs slightly less than € 20.000 and that the producer cannot turn them out fast enough.

Disgusting capitalism !