April 21 1913

Kamiel Neukermans was born in Okegem, the eldest child of Joannes Franciscus (Okegem 1886 - 1961) and Maria Antonia De Vidts (Pamel 1885 - Okegem 1949). He was the eldest brother of my mother.

I remember my mother telling me that he was a carpenter. He was a very devout person and a founder of the KAJ in Okegem. He died on May 10 1936 as an indirect result of an accident during his military service. I thought I had written about him before, but I can't locate the text.

Building a pontoon on the Meuse river, he was hit in the chest by a steel girder, fell into the ice cold water and contracted tuberculosis. He spent a long time (about a year ?) in a sanatorium in Lustin and came home apparently healed.

One day, he went to mass and catched a cold. He relapsed and did not survive.

My parents met on the day of his funeral.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vorig artikel onder label "Neukermans" January 25 1920

Pablo Carpintero said...

Bedankt Guy. Ik heb er twee maal overgekeken Een trouwe lezer is goud waard.