Sudan

British teacher Gillian Gibbons, who perpetrated the heinous teddy bear of blasphemy on an unsuspecting Sudan, has been convicted of blasphemy, but will not face the lash for her crime.

Gibbons has been convicted of inciting religious hatred for letting her pupils name a teddy bear Muhammad and sentenced to 15 days in prison and deportation from Sudan, one of her defense lawyers said Thursday.

The director of the school employing Gibbons noted that since she had already spent five days in prison, she would serve only 10 days.

“It’s a very fair verdict, she could have had six months and lashes and a fine, and she only got 15 days and deportation,” said Robert Boulos of the Unity High School, adding they would not appeal the decision.


Oh yes, very fair.


(From little green footballs)

2 comments:

Pablo Carpintero said...

Apparently I lost two reactions I placed here myself. So, "op hoop van zege" :
roaming through blogland, I had seen various sites with reports about manifestations for the execution of that poor teacher.
I thought these reports were inventions of western crypto-fascist and racists. But now the "serious" press reports the same thing.
Tolerance and islam, will they ever become a pair ?

A TV program yesterday reminded me of the following facts : muslim can visit all the high (hot) spots of christianity, but christians are strictly forbidden to visit Mecca - they are stopped 15 km away... they sure have a long, long way to go, our muslim brethern.

These are my last comments for the time being on islam and tolerance.
But one more general remark : looking around me (and even inside me) I am ever more convinced that tolerance is (one of) the scarcest and rarest quality on earth ...

Anonymous said...

And what gruesome faith has been reserved for the teddy ?