More war memories

Writing about my earliest memories, I recalled having read about another plane crash close to Ninove. It happened at Denderwindeke on December 29 1944, where a B-24 Liberator, returning from a mission over Neuwied, Germany, and hit by flak over the Ardennes (the von Rundstedt offensive) crashed at Boterdael. Unfortunately two crew members were killed.
There is a website devoted to this crash : http://users.telenet.be/herdenking_b24/ (the site is in Flemish and in English, but the English version apparently is not working).

For a moment I thought that "my" four engine plane, which crashed on New Year day, might have been a Liberator too - but then my source reports 8 parachutes ; the plane in Denderwindeke had a reported crew of nine and a search on internet appears to indicate that the Liberator normally had a crew of ten.

Maybe someone will try to get more info on the Ninove crash from Allied archives.

No comments: