Mothers


This is one of the very first pictures of Pablo, made early in 1941 in the fruit tree yard of my maternal grandparents, located on the Rattenberg at Okegem. With me are my mother Margaretha Felicitas Neukermans (born at Okegem on June 8 1914 - died at Ghent on September 26 2000) and her mother, my godmother, Maria Antonia De Vidts (born at Pamel on January 31 1880 - died in her house at Okegem on September 25 1949).
Both had far from easy lifes filled with illnesses and sorrows, and terrible losses. My grandmother lost two of her four sons in 1934 and 1936.
But they had their moments of happiness too. My mother always told me that my grandmother loved to sing but never sang again after the death of her sons until after I, her first grandchild, was born. I treasure this memory with great fondness and affection.
Even contrarians sometimes have their uses...
Note that my mother survived her mother by 51 years and a day ... a long period in which to remember that much missed presence ...
I am quite sure a similar picture exists of me with both my parents. I am currently locating it. My sainted father Petrus Joannes Timmermans (born at Meerbeke on October 14 1913 - died at Ghent on April 20 1980) had a much rougher life still, but he fully and consequently devoted it to his wife and children to a degree "far beyond the call of duty" as the Americans say.

1 comment:

Ann Timmermans said...

What a cute picture! Can't wait to see more of those...
did you scan this one onto your pc?